Tuesday, January 29, 2013

MY PERSONAL THRIFTING TIPS/TRICKS/TECHNIQUES



I know how overwhelming thrifting can be.  Racks upon racks upon racks and shelves upon shelves full of items.  DON'T PANIC! I'm here to help.


  • Be patient.  That awesome item won't be at the first rack you go to.  Take your time and dig throughout the entire store.  You're bound to find something you like.  Even bring a friend along to ease the anxiety.
  • Shop with an open mind.  Just because you like mini dresses and that awesome floral print dress goes down to your ankles, you can always alter the dress to that mini dress you like or even a hi-low dress.  Even denim jeans!  I for one don't wear denim jeans but I look in that section in hope to find a pair that fit me to make into HIGH WAISTED DENIM SHORTS!
  • Do you really need it?  Just because it's inexpensive and you have twenty dollars to spend, that doesn't mean you have to spend it all.  Go in there with a plan with what you need at that moment. (my own advice that I should take)
  • CHECK THE ITEM BEFORE YOU PURCHASE IT.  I put that in caps because you do not want to know how many times I have came home with an item because "OHMAHGAH IT'S $2" and then there was a gnarly stain on the collar or something. CHECK, CHECK, CHECK! for holes, stains, missing buttons, broken zippers, etc. (unless you're sewing savvy and know how to fix it yourself)
  • Go into the Men's section.  No really, do it.  I can't tell you how many awesome oversized sweaters, flannels, and vintage tees I have found.  
  • Don't skip the small stuff.  Before you put your thrift shopping to an end, check the purse rack and the jewelry counter.
  • The shoe rack is cool. Seriously.  I know some people don't like that fact that someone else has worn the shoe before, but you can always clean them/spray them/change the sole and shoe laces/etc.
  • Read signs/Ask an associate.  On certain days some items are half off, or the whole entire store is half off.  (depending on the thrift store)
  • Bring cash.  Not all thrift store accept a debit card.  (been there, done that)
  • Don't get discouraged.  I know how it feels to leave empty handed but don't worry, people are always donating clothes and thrift stores restock their racks about 2-3 times a week!
I hope this helps you on your next thrifting adventure!
xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment